DECRA metal roofs are well-known as one of the longest-lasting roofs on the market. Over the decades, dust and dirt inevitably build up on the roof. Not only is the accumulation of dust and dirt unsightly, but it can also create an environment for the growth of algae, lichen, mildew or moss.
To keep your DECRA Metal Roof in pristine condition decade after decade, it’s important to clean your DECRA roof at least once a year.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything homeowners need to know about cleaning a DECRA Metal Roof, including:
- Roof cleaning prep: Tools and safety precautions.
- Cleaning products that are compatible with a DECRA metal roof.
- What to know about cleaning algae, lichen, mildew or moss.
- Tips for minimizing the build-up of dust and dirt on your roof.
Roof Cleaning Prep: Tools and Safety Precautions
When preparing to clean your DECRA Metal Roof, gather the following tools:
- Sturdy ladder or harness to ensure your safety.
- Safety goggles and non-slip shoes.
- Tarps or coverings to protect surrounding landscaping and other surfaces below the roof.
Reminder to always use caution when cleaning your roof and follow proper safety guidelines, including:
- Wear appropriate clothing and shoes: Loose clothing and open-toe shoes can be dangerous when working on a roof, so it's important to wear appropriate clothing and shoes that fit snugly and provide good traction.
- Be aware of the weather and avoid cleaning the roof if it is wet or if there is a chance of rain or thunderstorms.
- Have someone to assist you with the cleaning process to ensure your safety.
Cleaning Products that are Compatible with a DECRA Metal Roof
Before cleaning a DECRA Metal Roof, please note the following:
- Do not use water pressure above 500 psi. Water should be used for rinsing and not a primary method to remove dirt, algae, mildew, lichen or moss.
- Avoid forceful removal of stone-coated granules in all instances.
- Do not exceed 160 degrees (F) water or solution temperature.
- It’s critical to carefully follow the instructions for any cleaning product used on your DECRA roof.
The following list of cleaning products–while not comprehensive–includes products that are compatible with DECRA roofing (in alphabetical order).
- Bayer Advanced 2-in-1 Moss & Algae Killer
- Clenz-O2-Roof by Greenflow USA
- Spray & Forget Roof Cleaner Concentrate
- Wash Safe Roof Wash
- Wet & Forget Outdoor
Note: If you use a cistern collection system to collect and store rainwater for household and other uses, be sure to disconnect the system from the roof to avoid contamination when cleaning. Be sure to allow the roof to further flush through at least three rainfall occurrences before reconnecting roof water run-off back into the cistern collection system.
What to Know About Cleaning Algae, Lichen, Mildew or Moss
When using any products that are designed to prevent algae, mildew, lichen or moss, be sure they are non-corrosive and don’t contain any ingredients that could harm the landscaping, furniture or structures below.
Do not use copper or iron-based products to clean or treat a DECRA Metal Roof for algae, mildew, lichen, or moss growth. While DECRA Metal Roofs are resistant to rust, copper-based products or solutions create a galvanic reaction due to dissimilar metals, and iron-based products can stain the roof.
Tips for Minimizing the Build-Up of Dust and Dirt on Your Roof
We recommend cleaning your DECRA Metal Roof at least once a year. If you live in an area with heavy tree coverage, high pollution, or near construction sites, it may be necessary to clean the roof more frequently.
In addition to regularly cleaning your roof, you can also minimize the amount of dust and dirt that accumulate on the roof by:
- Cleaning gutters regularly can help to prevent debris from accumulating on the roof.
- Trim overhanging branches as they can deposit leaves and other debris on the roof.
- Installing gutter guards can help to keep debris out of the gutters.
- Keep the surrounding area clean by regularly removing fallen leaves, branches and other debris.
Additional Resources for Homeowners
Remember that DECRA Metal Roofs are backed by a Lifetime Limited Warranty that covers wind up to 120 miles per hour and hailstones up to 2.5 inches in diameter, so don’t forget to register your warranty here.
Warranty information, as well as cleaning instructions, walking instructions and FAQs about your DECRA metal roof can be found in the DECRA Metal Roofing Homeowner’s Manual here.
To receive a manufacturer’s rebate of a $250 digital gift card, claim your rebate here. The rebate is valid for installations between January 1, 2023 through December 31st, 2023 (dated invoice must be provided). Rebate registrations must be received by December 31, 2023. Repairs, additions and partial replacements do not qualify. Only complete home roofs with a minimum of 20 squares of DECRA material installed are eligible.
If you have any other questions about your DECRA roof, please don’t hesitate to contact us.