The demand for metal roofing has doubled in recent years, making it the second most popular material for residential homes.
Much of this growth is attributed to the adoption of more resilient materials that deliver long-term value over short-term gain.
While there are cheaper options on the market, metal roofing offers performance, protection, and profitability. Today, a metal roof can increase a home’s resale value up to 6% when compared to asphalt.
Read on to learn why upgrading to metal roofing could make a difference in how much or how quickly your home sells.
Long-Term Value of Metal Roofing
Cheaper is not always better, especially when it comes to roofing. While you may find materials for less, they offer limited returns for your investment.
As you prepare to sell your home, consider the value metal roofing provides:
- Longevity: Metal roofs have a lifespan that is two to three times longer than traditional roofing materials like asphalt shingles, clay tiles, or wood shakes. Buyers will value not having to worry about a roof replacement because they have a newly installed roof that lasts significantly longer than other materials on the market.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal roofs can reduce cooling costs by up to 25%. They reflect heat from the sun unlike asphalt shingles that absorb the energy and transmit heat into the home. Poor solar reflectivity coupled with low emissivity make asphalt one of the worst choices for energy-efficient roofing. With metal, buyers can look forward to additional savings over the lifetime of the home by reducing energy costs.
- Durability: Metal roofs are engineered to withstand the elements in every region. Give potential buyers the peace of mind that comes with knowing their home is better prepared for hurricanes, tornados, hail, wind, and fire.
Enhancing curb appeal and aesthetics are additional ways that metal roofing increases home value.
The DECRA Metal Roofing Stone-Coated Difference
Standing seam or corrugated metal roofs are fine for commercial buildings, but they don't provide the sophisticated architectural design that stone-coated steel has, which can enhance curb appeal and boost value.
DECRA Metal Roofing’s proprietary stone-coated manufacturing process was designed to bridge the gap between industrial durability and architectural beauty to add strength and style to any home.
Using a state-of-the-art acrylic resin coating applied on top of the aluminum-zinc alloy hot-dip steel coils, the acrylic resin coatings provide the ideal surface for adhering the stone granules to the base sheets.
This is what gives DECRA Metal Roofing the ability to replicate the look of traditional roofing materials like asphalt shingles, clay tiles, and wood shakes in vibrant colors to enhance any home’s design.
For example, it would be hard to imagine a Mediterranean or Spanish-influenced home without their traditional clay tile roofs, but such materials need to be repaired or replaced every 10 to 20 years. Clay also:
- Requires ongoing and costly maintenance.
- Absorbs as much as 15% of its weight in moisture, adding stress to the roof.
- Fractures easily due to storm debris or even something as simple as walking on the roof during routine maintenance.
- Weighs between 18,000 and 45,000 pounds compared to 160 pounds per square of DECRA.
For homeowners who demand strength without sacrificing style, DECRA’s extensive product line offers the aesthetics of asphalt, tile, or wood without the shortcomings in durability or longevity.
Additional Value from a DECRA Metal Roof
The long-term value of a DECRA metal roof is accompanied by immediate benefits, like warranty transfers and insurance discounts, that can help entice buyers to pay a premium price for your home.
Some roofing manufacturers limit the length of the warranty or do not permit transfers of the warranty if the home is sold. This creates a headache for sellers who invested in a new roof prior to selling, but can’t pass on the warranty to the new owners. DECRA’s Lifetime Limited Warranty is transferable to the subsequent property owner within 20 years of the installation.
Also, check with your insurance carrier to learn about available discounts on metal roofing. They may offer lower premiums after installing a DECRA roof.
Increase the Value of Your Home With a DECRA Metal Roof
Available in five styles and more than 30 colors, the ageless beauty and performance of a DECRA stone-coated metal roof can increase the value of your home. It can also incentivize buyers to pay a premium price for the peace of mind that comes with knowing their home is protected by the strength of steel. If you’re looking to increase the value of your home before selling, contact one of our roofing advisors to upgrade to metal roofing.