The roof is one of the most prominent features of any home. The style, condition, and aesthetics of the roof can impact both curb appeal and home value.
Metal roofing is the second most popular roofing material on the market and homeowner demand is at an all-time high. Adding a new metal roof can easily enhance curb appeal, increase home value, and attract buyers in the same way that a major kitchen remodel or room addition can.
In fact, recent reports show that a new metal roof can increase home value by up to 6%. Even if a homeowner isn’t looking to increase home value for the purpose of selling, they can look forward to recouping an average of 85.9% of the initial cost of installation, thanks to the high ROI that metal roofs provide.
A new metal roof can increase home value for several reasons, each of which we’ll cover below:
- Durability and longevity: Metal roofing is one of the most durable and longest-lasting roofing materials on the market.
- Curb appeal: Modern metal roofing products provide industrial-strength durability, but have the design versatility to enhance the curb appeal of any home.
- ROI: In addition to increasing home value and recouping the initial cost, metal roofing provides a long list of both immediate and long-term benefits.
The Durability and Longevity of Metal Roofing
Metal is one of the most durable roofing materials on the market. In addition to lasting two to three times longer than traditional roofing materials, element-resistant metal roofing can withstand nearly anything that Mother Nature has to offer, providing peace of mind that potential buyers will pay a premium for.
Metal roofing products, such as DECRA Metal Roofing, boast an impressive list of performance ratings, including:
- Hail: Highest possible Class 4 impact rating for hail damage.
- Wind: Warrantied for winds up to 120 mph and lab tested at twice that velocity.
- Hurricanes: Approved for homes in high-velocity hurricane areas including Miami-Dade, Florida, which is known as the region with the most severe wind market.
- Fire: Highest possible Class 4 rating for fire.
For added peace of mind and value, DECRA backs all products with a Lifetime Limited Warranty–one of the few warranties that can be transferred to the new owners if the home is sold.
>>>Related Resource: Learn how metal roofing protects homes in every region and in every season.
But not all metal roofing products are the same and it’s important to understand the different types of metal roofing products on the market to maximize curb appeal.
Metal roofing products come in a variety of different metals and styles, including:
- Aluminum roofing.
- Standing seam roofing.
- Corrugated roofing.
- Copper roofing.
- Stone-coated metal roofing.
While all metal roofing products offer durability and longevity, some are better suited for residential properties than others.
For example, standing seam metal roofing is a great option for factories, warehouses, or barns, but its industrial appearance lacks the dimensionality, color and texture that most residential properties require. On the other hand, stone-coated metal roofing products provide the same industrial-strength as standing seam products, but also provide the design versatility that most homeowners are looking for.
The Curb Appeal of Stone-Coated Metal Roofing
Traditional roofing materials, such as clay tiles, are practically a required design element for Spanish and Mediterranean-themed homes. And while tile roofs are beautiful, they are extremely fragile, heavy and require ongoing maintenance.
But installing an industrial metal roofing product, such as the corrugated metal roofing used on your local Costco warehouse, doesn’t quite work on a home with an elegant Mediterranean theme.
For homeowners who don’t want to sacrifice style or strength, stone-coated metal roofing is the ideal choice.
Stone-coated metal roofing products begin as sheets of steel which are then shaped into panels that replicate the look of traditional roofing materials such as asphalt shingles, clay tiles and wood shakes. Stone granules are then added to the panels to provide a full range of styles, colors and textures to augment even the most challenging architectural themes for maximum curb appeal.
>>>Related Resource: Learn more about the design versatility of stone-coated metal roofing here.
In addition to providing strength and style, a new metal roof can increase home value through the immediate and long-term value that it provides.
The ROI of a New Metal Roof
When it comes to ROI, the biggest selling point of metal roofs is that they have a lifespan that is two to three times longer than traditional roofing materials, such as asphalt, tile and wood.
The longevity of metal roofing is complemented by additional benefits that contribute to its long-term value, including:
- Energy Savings: Metal roofs have always been known as one of the most energy-efficient roofing materials. A new metal roof can provide homeowners with energy savings as high as 25%. That's a major improvement over asphalt shingle roofs which continue to emit absorbed heat into the home long after the sun has set. For maximum energy efficiency, installing advanced underlayments under a new DECRA roof can increase thermal performance by up to 217% when compared to traditional asphalt shingles.
- Insurance Discounts: Metal roofs can qualify for insurance discounts in many states. For example, in Texas, a metal roof can lower your homeowner's insurance by up to 35%. (Check with your local insurance carrier for available discounts).
- Lifetime Limited Warranty: With a large investment such as a new roof, it’s important to know that the investment is backed by a comprehensive warranty. DECRA provides a Lifetime Limited Warranty for all of its products, so homeowners can have peace of mind knowing their roof comes standard with one of the most comprehensive warranties in the industry.
Increase Home Value and Curb Appeal With DECRA Metal Roofing
DECRA Metal Roofing products have withstood the test of time and excelled through some of the harshest weather conditions around the world for over 60 years. If you’re looking for a roof that provides both strength and style, you’re looking for a DECRA roof.
Ready to see how good a DECRA roof looks on your home? View the wide variety of DECRA Metal Roofing products, styles and colors by uploading an image of your property to the Roof Designer App.